The Most Diverse Bicycle Club in Orange County
Come ride with us!
OCW has been asked to help promote and launch a new special interest license plate tied to supporting our favorite outdoor activity: skateboarding. Just kidding. I believe having a special interest license plate with a bike on it would be very cool and the proceeds will be used to make the roads safer for all of us. Please take a look at the calbikeplate.com website and if you are interested as I am, order your plate. I can't think of a better way for us to let other drivers know that we are proud of being cyclists and actively support our sport.
The California Department of Public Health (CDPH) Nutrition Education and Obesity Prevention Office (NEOP) is launching the new “Bike For A Healthy California”, special Interest License Plate. The license plate is a special interest license plate for motor vehicles currently registered with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), this includes cars, trucks, motorcycles, vans and trailers.
The purpose of the license plate is to create a funding source that will allow NEOPB to further its mission of promoting healthy eating and physical activity through cycling.
Funds from the sales of the license plates will go towards grants to be made available to County Health Offices, schools, nonprofits and community based organizations. Grants will focus on physical activity featuring the use of bicycles and cover the following areas:
• Safe places to ride bikes: encourage bike lanes, paths, trails and mountain trails.
• Earn-A-Bike programs: for youth (at-risk and disadvantaged).
• School programs: Safe Routs to School and bike trains, skill development and nutrition education at 4th and 5th grade, clubs and teams at Middle school and high schools.
• Promote bicycle use as a regular mode of transportation: providing greater access for bikes in urban and suburban areas.
• Safety education for cyclists and drivers of motor vehicles. Also, working with local law enforcement to create a cycling ambassador program.
The DMV allows 12 months to take deposits on 7,500 license plates. We are requesting the help of Orange County Wheelmen in raising awareness and publicizing the availability of the plate to those who may be interested. It has been a long process to get to this point, and we don’t want it to stall now. Please visit our web site for complete details https://calbikeplate.com/ .